Monday, February 9, 2009

Frantic baking ..!


We have been having hot days here for over a week- (high 30's) which has NOT made me want to cook anything at all. When its 36 inside the house the last thing I want is the oven on! But yesterday I just had to do it ..... I've had no biscuits or cakey things for over a week* (long time for me) so it was on with the oven early in the morning before the day got too hot.

* I decided last year to stop buying shop-bought biscuits, and only make my own.
This was a BIG deal for me as I do like my biscuits (!) but was committed to doing it after finding out that a lot of commercial biscuits -including tim-tams- use palm oil (you can read more about why this is a problem
HERE ) I really surprised myself by sticking to it now for over 3 months and I truly don't miss them. The rest of the family prefer home baked biscuits too and have never asked for any shop ones.

I made 24 lovely choc-chip and banana muffins, and a big quiche for lunch with ham, tomato, feta and basil. The thermometer only went up 1 degree during the frantic-bake-off (!) and I used 10 of our eggs which were stacking up and 2 over-ripe bananas no good for anything else.
Basic Muffin Recipe -
3 cups SR flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
170g melted butter
(add fruit/choc chips/cinnamon etc for flavoured muffins)
  • Mix flour and sugar in a bowl (and any other dry ingredients if using). Mix melted butter, milk and eggs together, then add to dry ingredients. Do not overmix.
  • Spoon into buttered muffin pans and bake at 200c for 20 mins/until golden.
  • Cool on wire rack (if you can wait!!!)

No comments: